Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Three Year Olds and Leper Colonies

Two things for today. First, my 3-year-old. I love him. But, come 3:45pm each day it gets a little harder...let me explain. 3:45 is when my older boys get off of the bus and walk in the door from school - 3:45 is when O's board shorts out and he becomes some sort of wild maniac. He runs around in circles through the house yelling things like, "YOU'RE GONNA FIND COWS ON A COW FARM!!" or "E I B.Y.U.!!" in a not-so-sweet-3-year-old-roar. Seriously. It is exhausting. When 8:00 finally rolls around I welcome it with open arms and lay my baby to bed. Within seconds (literally) he is asleep. This past week I have had him in bed before 8 - more like 7:30. Sweet Serenity.

Second thing: There is this store, that will remain nameless, that, on occasion I visit, because sometimes their prices cannot be beat. I do most of the time avoid this particular store because I am fairly certain it could be considered a present-day leper colony. I broke down this past week and went there to buy some dishes - I was amazed that there was that fabulous of dishes there to begin with. I originally found them on Am@zon . But with a little bit of research I found them at the other store for less. So, I jumped in the car and ran there, bought them and ran out without any weird happenings. When I got home and was unpacking them I realized that one dish was broke. So, I jumped back in the car, receipt in hand to customer service to a "quick" exchange. 1 hour later (not exaggerating here) I finally got up to the clerk with bleach blonde hair and black roots, sparkly nails that were at least 1 inch long, and b**bs hanging out of her blue vest. (Nothing against big b**bed blondes here - wish I was one instead of a flat chested red-head that I am - it just looked like she had been around the block a few times). Anyhoo, after arguing for several minutes about which price on my receipt was correct I finally got my money back and ran into the depths of the store to grab another box of fabulous dishes. I swerved my cart in and out of people who looked as if they have not visited a shower or a mirror in at least 96 hours. After walking the isles 13 times I realized they were completely out of the fabulous dishes - completely frustrated and frazzled I sprinted out of the store to home down to my basement and ordered them off Am@zon - they should be here in 7-10 days. I swore to myself then and there I would never go back to that store. Sadly, I report, my Mother-in-Law called to inform me we are having family pictures taken there Saturday because she can get like 300 pictures for $5.88. I wonder if that clerk will let me borrow her blue vest for our pictures - It would be only fitting...ugh.

12 comments:

Catherine said...

You're hilarious! Cudos to you friend for escapting with only what you intended! Wow...that in itself is a huge feat! I in turn normally enter said store for 1 item and leave with 10! Who would have known when I went in for toothpaste that I needed hangers, deoderant and sometimes even diapers. What? Still probably a year away and I buy diapers in said store. Yes...I am sure they spray us with some sort of 'purchasing stimulant' upon entering the store and laugh themselves all the way to the bank!

Secondly, I'm looking at a sweet, adorable, sleepy little 3yo in your pic. He couldn't possibly be the energetic bundle that hits your house each day could he? LOL! Doesn't he walk up to you, gently put his hand on your arm and ask, 'Mother, when you have a moment could you please get me a cookie if it's not too much trouble?' HEH! Oh no...if we only had one tenth of their energy we could bottle and sell it. Oh yah...they do...and we buy it in red and white cans with a swoosh on it.

Oh friend, have I told you today how much I miss you and how excited I am about seeing you soon? 24 more sleeps...only 24 more sleeps!!!

PS - Can we get a link to said dishes?

redmaryjanes said...

Too funny.
I do shop at the nameless store on occassion. But we have a locally owned chain here called Meijer. And the nameless store wanted to buy them out. Meijer refused and the nameless store told them that they would put a nameless store near each of the Meijer stores and run them out of business.
Interesting enough, there now are nameless stores right beside every Meijer that I know of. So, I think they are bullies and I shop at Meijer.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

You three year old sounds so funny! ANd your trip to the "nameless" store sounds....exhausting.....

Debbie said...

You are too funny!!!
Your sleeping baby is priceless, you will one day look back on this and it will be a distant memory!! Enjoy the days you have with him, they will be gone before you know it!!!
Hugs!!!

Pug Mama said...

first of all, I would have TOTALLY been into the big boobed blond with long sparkles nail, 'cause she sounds like Beth from Dog the Bounty Hunter.

Second, as I hang my head in shame, I ALWAYS go into that store. I like to bang out several things at once, and I can do it there. Are you coming over to remove my American flag from my front porch? I wouldn't blame you if you did. I'm a hypocrite.

Third, the un-bathed family you ran into there....they breed them there.

forth, how cute is your son????? And I agree with him. Where else would you find a cow? Not only handsome, but he has the brains to back it up.

Special K said...

You're funny girl.

I hate that store. But like some sort of abusive relationship I keep going back.

t~ said...

What a sweet picture!

I know exactly what you mean. Down here deep in the south of Florida, we call it 'Guatmart.' Not that I have anything against Guatamalans, but they don't speak English and they look at you like deer in headlights and I just don't know how to ask where the pickles are in Spanish. But for reasons I can't explain...I keep going back.

Pug Mama said...

yo T -
adonde estas' la pepinillos?

that will get you pickles.
glad I could help.

Andrea said...

If you went to the one closest by me, then you should have borrowed Dev's haz-mat suit. I won't go there unless it is a deadly emergency. I would rather travel to the one 10 miles east! Glad to see you are still alive though!!

C's Mom said...

Now, now. I've been around the block many a time. After all, it's hard to drop those extra pounds ;0)

Seriously, funny post...I hope your dishes arrive intact.

Lisa said...

Nice post. That "nameless" store makes me crazy too! Bleachk (stick your tongue out while saying that).... sometimes paying a little bit (or a lot) more money is worth avoiding the aggrevation. Day after Thanksgiving '05, in a moment of insanity, my hubby and I went to the nameless store at 3:30am and plopped ourselves in line (we were number 39) for one of 50 HP laptops (for China of course) for a price that couldn't be beaten. Three hours and numerous cut-ins later, they ran out and got mad at us because we challenged their lack of organization and poor management. NEVER AGAIN!

Lisa : )

natural mattress said...

There's a lot of information here that will be very useful. Thanks for sharing this.